All the Protestants hate the Catholics,
And the Catholics hate the Protestants.
And the Hindus hate the Moslems,
And everybody hates the Jews.[Tom Lehrer, National Brotherhood Week]
There’s an infinite amount to say about this, and a never-ending torrent of tempestuous rhetoric and recrimination to go with it. Those are the reasons I try to stay away from it. But every now and then the topic broaches my Rant Threshold.
It’s been said, by me among others, that the greatest fanaticisms arise over unverifiable, unfalsifiable propositions. A lot of blood has been spilled over religious differences. It’s hardly necessary for a minor-league commentator to deplore it. But even in relatively civil and peaceful times, the matter should be watched.
We haven’t had a major religious war in these United States, at least as far as I’m aware. There have been some ugly occasions – the “Mormon Wars” and the “Bloody Monday” riots of the 19th Century, for example — but they passed into history without much persistent effect. Contemporary verbal conflicts among members of Christian denominations are of greater long-term significance.
There’s a lot of mudslinging among Christian denominations. It’s more ironic than I can capture in a net of words. Christ demanded very little of His followers, as I’ve written here many times. The heart of His message was love of God and benevolence toward those around you: the two Great Commandments enunciated in the Gospel of Matthew, chapter 22. While I’m a Catholic for what I consider good reasons, I hold that anyone, regardless of denominational affiliation, who does his best to live by the Great Commandments, and to repent of his sins against them, will be happy with his next life.
So why all the foofaurauw?
Some of it derives from the desire to feel superior to others. Some might descend from a memory of having been abused by members of another sect. But regardless of the specifics, it indicates a shortfall of humility. It violates the second Great Commandment. And it is unworthy of a follower of Christ.
It’s bewildering to think that it should be necessary to say those things. It troubles me that I feel such a need to say them. But the evidence of steadily rising inter-denominational hostility is too plain to ignore.
My fellow Christians: Is it too much to ask that you do as your Savior would have you do? You can argue over points of doctrine and Scripture without becoming disagreeable, can’t you? Would it pain you that greatly to allow that you could be wrong?
Any subject can be belabored unduly, and this one is no exception, so I’ll close here:
Remember the words of the Redeemer.
Live by the Great Commandments.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
And do have a nice day.
May God bless and keep you all.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are moderated. I am entirely arbitrary about what I allow to appear here. Toss me a bomb and I might just toss it back with interest. You have been warned.