Sunday, April 26, 2020

In the Middle of the Night - Billy Joel Song Cue

It's a lovely song - River of Dreams.


I happened to think of it, when I found myself awake at 2 am, writing down notes for another short story. Most of my shorts are like that - I find myself waking from a half-dreamlike state, with nearly a fully conceptualized story in my head. Most of the time, I go back to sleep.

Sometimes, the story intrigues me, and I creep down the hall to the computer to write down enough of the story to be able to finish it later. Tonight's experience was that kind.

I've been writing more in the last week. Mostly journaling, but some longer blog posts, as well. I've found that such activity usually precedes a fruitful time of work, so I've been expecting such an outburst of midnight scribbling, sooner or later.

Nighttime is long associated with magical happenings, genius uncorked, and nefarious deeds planned or in process. Our senses are heightened. Normal noises take on a sinister ambience.

Night is an enchanted time.

No comments: