Thursday, May 3, 2018

Wholly Disconnected Ramblings On Matters Of Little Or No Importance

     There’s a lot of news. Strangely, just now most of it is good news, which tends to disconcert op-ed writers. Good news leaves our best-developed organs unemployed. Commenting on it doesn’t exercise the bile glands. It’s akin to being a folk singer with no injustices to wail about.

     Nevertheless, I persist. It’s a genetic thing, don’t y’know. Being of Irish descent, I must jabber. Being of Italian descent, I must flap my hands about as I do so. I hope there’s some value in it to my Gentle Readers.

     Minimum links today. I just can’t be bothered.


     Anger is a double-edged tool. It can energize, but it can also enervate. That having been said, I’m of the opinion that we in the Right need to muster more anger than we have to date. Today, Michael Caputo is leading the charge:

     ‘What America needs is an investigation of the investigators. I want to know who is paying for the spies’ work and coordinating this attack on President Donald Trump? I want to know who Dan Jones is talking to across the investigations – from the FBI, to the Southern District of New York, to the OSC, to the Department of Justice, to Congress.

     ‘Forget about all the death threats against my family. I want to know who cost us so much money, who crushed our kids, who forced us out of our home, all because you lost an election.

     ‘I want to know because God Damn you to Hell.’

     This might be the most powerful post-election cry to date. Please read it all.


     Major-media “journalists” are making a scrupulous effort to not cover the news. That’s of a piece with the aforementioned Commentators’ Angst; good news doesn’t animate the typical reporter. This is especially the case when the good news is about the successes of Donald Trump and his administration.

     Trump’s hard-nosed negotiating technique has won gains against China’s vicious trade practices and appears about to put an end to the 68-year Korean War. His targeted use of tariffs has revitalized the American steel and aluminum industries and put the fear of God in the European Union. His endorsement of offshore drilling and expanded hydraulic fracturing and his green light to the Keystone XL pipeline have created a new sense of possibility in the energy industries. His tax cut bill has money pouring into middle-class families’ pockets, awakening the spirit of progress that had been so badly blunted and to which “progressives” gave only lip service. His judicial nominees are being confirmed at unprecedented speed. Major corporations are repatriating their offshore balances and investing in domestic expansions. GDP growth is rising rapidly and unemployment is in free fall, as is food stamp usage. Yet the major media continue to harp on two non-stories: “Stormy Daniels” and Robert Mueller’s “investigation.”

     Excuse me: actually, the media harp on parts of those items. Few are willing to discuss why “Daniels” signed a non-disclosure agreement she blatantly violated, and why all the solid, well confirmed developments out of the Mueller “investigation” have uncovered wrongdoing by miscellaneous Obama appointees, Democrats, and FBI officials. But perhaps we’re asking too much when we ask “journalists” to report facts.


     Kanye West? Who’s that? I remember something about a person by that name creating a stir by marrying a Kardashian, but apart from that...what’s that you say? He’s a rapper, a Trump fan, and he’s black? Sound the general alarm!

     Needless to say, the Left is up in arms about a major figure in the “arts,” who has a huge following and is also a Person of Melanin, saying anything good about President Trump. The denunciations threaten to crowd “Stormy Daniels” off the front page of the Times. As usual, Maxine Waters, America’s poster child for Dementia in High Office, is flapping her yap about it, scathing West for “talking out of turn.” There’s a treasure trove of significance in that, for anyone who cares to think about it.

     Perhaps we could get West to have a sit-down with Jennifer Lawrence.


     If you’re old, you might remember electric razors, one of the most ballyhooed consumer-convenience devices of the Sixties. They appear to have disappeared from retailing. Wait, what’s that you say? They’re still around, only they’re called electric shavers now? But why? Especially considering how poorly they shave.

     I know, I know: no one cares. A “pound” can of coffee is now about 13 ounces, and candy bars have been shrinking even faster, and one of the most hallowed and venerable American institutions, Breyers Ice Cream, is now making “frozen desserts!” Oh, some flavors are still available as honest-to-goodness ice cream, but I can no longer find Breyers coffee ice cream at the supermarket and it pisses me off. And I refuse to buy a brand with a phony Scandinavian name that’s actually made and headquartered in New Jersey.


     It’s been thirty-five years. Do you think Randy Newman still loves L.A.?

     I tried to relocate there, back when I was “between wives.” Thank God and Saint Francis Xavier that I failed.


     Then there’s the White House Correspondent’s Hate Fest, and April Ryan’s ongoing attempt to prove she’s a “journalist,” and The Cheong-Sam That Roared, and Louie Gohmert’s expose of Robert Mueller, and The Return of The Fifty-Foot Woman Kathy Griffin, and...and...annnnnd...

     And yesterday, as I was scanning through all this dreck and straining to decide what bits were actually worth ranting about, I had an attack of sanity. I pushed back from the keyboard. I stood up and went to my garage, and I opened the garage door. I got into Joy, my red 2009 Corvette Stingray convertible, the very best present I’ve ever given myself, started her up, and rolled the top down. I donned my Trump hat and polarized sunglasses, and I proceeded to tour Suffolk County, Long Island, New York, which if it isn’t the absolute best place in the world to live is pretty damned close, singing to Tom Petty’s Damn the Torpedoes album at the top of my 66-year-old lungs. It was the most purely American thing I could think to do, and it made me feel one thousand percent better.

     And how did you spend your Tuesday, May 2, Gentle Reader?

2 comments:

Jim Horn said...

Tuesday? After learning a cat we took in Sunday has FeLV, I returned to work until 5AM Wednesday on finishing the design and documentation of our next generation airborne camera system that serves firefighters and counter-AED efforts very well. I really *like* my job! And appreciate your posts.

Chuck said...

Hey Fran,try the Walmart brand of coffee ice cream. It is surprisingly good.