Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Quickies: A Stunning Bit Of Wisdom

     Found at Gab:

"When I was a young man, I wanted to change the world.
When I found I could not change the world, I tried to change my nation.
When I found I could not change my nation, I tried to change my town.
When I found I could not change my town, I tried to change my family.
Now, as an old man, I realise the only thing I can change is myself."

"And suddenly I realise that if long ago I had changed myself,
I could have made an impact on my family,
My family and I could have made an impact on our town,
Their impact could have changed the nation,
And I could indeed have changed the world."

--unknown monk, 1100 AD.

     The young resist learning from the old. They always have, and in all probability they always will. How much more ironic could it be that the old so often learn from the young: specifically, the mistakes made by their younger selves?

2 comments:

Michael Stone said...

Gosh!
I wish I'd read that 30 years ago...

Thomas said...

I can't remember where I first read it, but that quote reminds me of a conversation between two old men:

"I wish I had listened to my father's advice when I was younger."

"Why? What did he say?"

"I don't know... I didn't listen to him. "