Sunday, October 6, 2019

Just Because I Feel Like It...

I walk through the graveyard
A late snow is on the ground,
The bones lying underneath the ivy.
Black crow flies high,
His shadow moves across the stones.
The snow that holds my footprints melts away.
I turn from the west gate,
And I look to the east,
I will await the coming dawn
To welcome the traveler home.

I wonder if you hear me
Singing softly to myself,
And I wonder, do you recognize the tune.
At times I’ve been so lonesome
For another human sound,
I have cried and I have shouted to myself.

I’ve turned from the west gate,
And I’ve looked to the east,
I will await the coming dawn
To welcome the traveler home.

Dawn to dusk, and dust to dust
And days of mercury,
In mind’s eye the time gone by is set like crystal.
At end of year, the days grow dim,
I feel the time go by,
But you can’t hold on to mercury.

You turn from the west gate,
And you look to the east,
While Earth awaits the coming dawn
To welcome all travelers home.

– Heidi Berry, “Mercury” –

No comments: