Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Quickies: The “Educators”

     Mrs. Kimiko Komatsu, an acquaintance from USA.Life, has posted an article every mother of school-age children should read. It concerns being haled to a conference with her sons’ “educators”…because they were reading too well:

     I took my seat across from two teachers who, I noticed, were viewing me with a certain disdain. It was as if I smelled badly or was a known, convicted child molester. I could tell they didn’t approve of me, but I didn’t yet know why.

     The meeting commenced, without so much as an introduction, when one of the two women, who I suspected were the boys’ teachers said, “Mrs. Komatsu, while testing your sons we’ve discovered some highly disturbing information.” They now had my complete attention….

     “Mrs. Komatsu, we didn’t know there was a problem until we conducted a test to determine all the children’s levels of reading ability. We’ve never seen this happen before. The test evaluates performance up to the ninth-grade level and both your boys passed all elements of the test. Because of that we can’t determine how well they can read.”

     Were these “educators” implying that Sean and Mike Komatsu had cheated on the test? Apparently not:

     “Mrs. Komatsu, we need to know why your boys read as well as they do.”

     The answer was simple:

     “I invested the time in teaching them to read the way I was taught to read. I purchased a couple Phonics books, spent some time teaching them and then I made sure they always had something they wanted to read.”

     This did not please the “educators:”

     “Mrs. Komatsu, your degree is in…?

     “I don’t have a degree. I graduated High School, that’s all.” I answered.

     “…and yet, somehow, you felt qualified to do a job best left to trained professionals with years of experience?” said teacher number one…. “Please, tell us what made you decide to teach your boys to read rather than allowing us to do it the proper way.”

     I exhort you, Gentle Reader, to read the whole thing. It casts a very harsh light on the true agenda of the “educators” who control the government-run schools. It clearly has nothing to do with teaching children to read…or anything else.

     I, who have extensive experience with the government-run schools, found the exchanges Mrs. Komatsu related in her article entirely believable. Others will undoubtedly protest that they’re “atypical” and that our “educators” are sincerely devoted to our children’s welfare. Draw your own conclusions.

8 comments:

NITZAKHON said...

I'm going to put this into my next LINKFEST.

For budget reasons we're shifting our kids to public school. But every drive to school I've used the time to discuss issues. Taxation, climate change, gay marriage, transgenderism. Both kids like Trump.

Amy Bowersox said...

When I was a toddler, my mother got some phonics flash cards and used them with me, treating it as a game. As a result, I was reading by age 2. And this was in 1970. These methods work.

daniel_day said...

Posted in a political group on Facebook.

Rick C said...

" “Mrs. Komatsu, we didn’t know there was a problem until we conducted a test to determine all the children’s levels of reading ability. We’ve never seen this happen before. The test evaluates performance up to the ninth-grade level and both your boys passed all elements of the test. Because of that we can’t determine how well they can read.” "

Morons. By age seven I was reading at the top of the chart of whatever test they were giving in the mid-70s, which showed me at a 13th-grade level, and I knew other kids who could, too.

So the tests these "teachers" are using are degenerate, too.

Unknown said...

I can identify with this!I taught my son to read early as well, using Phonics, and he went to a really good private school for his first two years. The school closed and I had to transfer him to public school, but I made them test him and he ended up in third grade. He came home with a social studies test with the three branches of government marked wrong. I had worked with him, and he learned correctly that the three branches are the executive, legislative and judicial branches. So I went to the teacher because she had marked it as president, congress and supreme court. She said this was because the correct names were too hard. I told my son, in front of her!, to put her answer on the test,but know the correct answers were what I gave him.

The schools learned to hate me because I was on top of his education all the time. There was no excuse for the crazy crap they tried to teach him. And I went to the school every time there was a problem. One of the instructors came to class drunk one day and passed out in class then called me and my son racists because he went to office to let someone know. I feel for parents today.

Twisted Root said...

The lady missed a trick when asked about which degree she had. She should have answered child rearing.

Lord Squirrel said...

I, too, find it entirely believable, having heard of similar experiences happen with friends of mine. They had so many problems with their kids' math teachers they started homeschooling them. Lo and behold, within a very short period of time they were learning math at or above their grade level! I'm currently in an online Master's program and I'm taking a course on teaching reading. It's been a very eye-opening experience to see the levels of social justice mongering and even outright Communism being embraced by our current and future teachers.

Wayne said...

HOMESCHOOL!
HOMESCHOOL!
HOMESCHOOL!