Monday, October 31, 2016

Comforting.

The FAC [Foreign Affairs Committee of the U.K. House of Commons] report on Libya tells an unnervingly similar story. The FAC was particularly concerned with how Libya had become a hotbed of terrorism after the overthrow of “Brother Leader” Muammar Gaddafi. One of the FAC witnesses, General David Richards, who was chief of UK defense staff at the time of the intervention, maintained that there was no sense at the time for how UK actions could potentially worsen the dangers posed by terrorist networks.[1]
Bear this thought in mind as the American political class and its MSM sycophants halloo for reckless, pointless confrontation with Russia some 102 years after the start of one of the last century's hideous episodes of slaughter and destruction.

As is true with all wars, no one on earth has any idea of what is being unleashed when war becomes state policy.

Notes
[1] "The End of Interventionism." By Alex de Waal, Boston Review, 10/13/16 (emphasis added).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This piece brings to mind the atmosphere when the invasion of Iraq started. While at the grocery store it seemed like I was at a sporting event. Overheard one saying something to the effect of 'we are gonna teach them a lesson'. I was quite the buzz kill when I pointed out that war is not cause for celebration and that human beings on both sides were dying horrible deaths.

So few really understand the horrors of war. If they did we would never have another one. Additionally, the next one won't be 'over there'. I expect cyber warfare to kick into high gear when things get hot. I think it likely that power will be out nationwide. Life as we know it will essentially end without power to run computers. No computers means no gas for the car, no cell phone service, no sense going to work, no food can be bought, shipping of everything stops, etc, etc. When I mention this to people they look at me like I've sprouted a second head or am speaking Swahili.

Col. B. Bunny said...

My aversion to war was not highly developed during the Cold War. It was clear to me that we were in a very real struggle with the Soviets whose history was bestial. I'm still for legitimate defense but what of what we are doing now falls in that category? The propaganda and lies in which we are awash is sickening and it infuriates me to see Keane, Peters, and McFarland, inter alia, intoning about the "Russian threat." It's real "mote in the other guy's eye and beam in your own" territory.

This is in addition to the phenomenon of deployment of thousands of our troops overseas as part of "the defense of our freedom" while not one troop is on our own border repelling a very real invasion of millions of illegals.

Today we have war founded on lies and the greasiest of alliances, to say the least, and it's disgusting. I never thought I would say that America's political class stands tall on lies and hypocrisy, but I do.

Anonymous said...

While I am an advocate of peace it is a sad fact of this world that sometimes it can only be achieved through superior firepower and tactics. However, the dogs of war should not be unleashed until no other option is available.

Col. B. Bunny said...

No question. I'd be more relaxed these days if I were convinced that the Obama administration and Hillary didn't consider war as their only option. Everywhere.