Monday, August 17, 2020

Declaration Of Personal Emancipation

     It’s time for some personal assertions of freedom.

     I broke a pair of glasses, just yesterday. I thought to bring them to where I purchased them, whether to be repaired or replaced. But at the door was a sign that informed the prospective customer that no one would be allowed inside without a mask. I turned around, went directly home, and emailed them that they’d lost my patronage.

     I’m in New York, one of the least free, most sheeplike states in the U.S. I can’t move for reasons of family. And I chafe at the complete idiocy of persons wearing useless face coverings and demanding that I do the same as a condition of doing business with me. When the demander is in the medical field, the irritation is especially great, as these cloth masks don’t even inconvenience the tiny COVID-19 virus. All they do is impede one’s breathing while reducing one’s recognizability.

     The worst part is the cowardice. “Well, it’s corporate policy.” Then the corporation has no respect for its customers. “But there’s a dangerous disease to consider.” COVID-19 is less dangerous than the common flu and is easily remedied with safe, inexpensive drugs. “The state has mandated it.” The state has no authority to do so!

     So I’ve decided on a one-man rebellion. I refuse to do business with any firm that requires me to wear a mask. Moreover, I let them know that, for the cheek of refusing my patronage on ridiculous grounds, I shan’t do business with them ever again. Virtually every business has enough competitors that there’ll be one with spine enough to act like a free man.

     Will it have any effect? We shall see. I’ll keep you posted.

8 comments:

Backwoods Engineer said...

I don't know anything about them as a company, but I have ordered at least half a dozen pairs of glasses from Zenni Optical. You pick out a set of frames online, put in your prescription, and in a couple of weeks they show up in your mailbox. I'm wearing a set right now. No mask required to get those.

Bill said...

I'm with you Fran I will not put on a facial political statement, especially since I am 100% against the statement. If they want me to wear one to do business, I don't need to do business with them, now or ever.

Andy Texan said...

I have a nuanced policy. Those large business that enthusiastically took to enforcing mask policy are to be shunned. Those large businesses that were agnostic but were forced to have a mask policy by tyrants in gubiment I continue to patronage (curb pickup). I defy restaurant mask policy. If I badly need something from a shop that cannot be delivered, I don a mask.

Mike Smith said...

I do the same thing. If I simply must have something, I put a mask on over my chin and no one has said anything yet.

Its as if they know its foolish but they just have to make you do it. But they wont nit pick exactly HOW you wear the mask, just as long as you have one attached to your head.

Paul Bonneau said...

I haven't yet done it, but I am tempted to put "FUCK THE GOVERNMENT" on a mask, in those cases where I can't avoid its use.

I like Heinlein's statement:
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

People need to understand that following the law and other petty dictates is a choice. Decide whether you are going to go along, and to what extent, and how often.

Linda Fox said...

Check your insurance - some of them cover Warby-Parker glasses (which are are $95, and give you multiple pairs to try out at home - you return the rest at their expense). Several people I know have tried them, and they say that they are terrific quality.

You also might want to just get readers temporarily (unless you need glasses for driving). For most companies, the bifocals will cost extra.

1104wrhmr6r said...

I have found wearing a hat that identifies me as a veteran significantly reduces comments from the 'Karens' of the mask wearing world as i go without one as much as I can.

Justin_O_Guy said...

I bent my frmes yp,, went to the place I got them,, and, yep,, sign said
Everyone must wear,, If you dont have one, we will give ya one,, blahhdeblahhblah,,

I have i=one in my pocket, for the
We are callin the cops
moment,,
But, I walked in and aside from one employee,, I was the only one not wearing.
The grocery store has a sign,,
I walk in, grab a basket,, and walk briskly past their constipated hall monitor,,
I have seen one other old man not wearing,, otherwise,, every adult, wearing,,
Nobody has challenged me, and Im not any kinda physically intimidatin,, Im short,, and a bit heavy, with a gray beard,, Not scary,
Go on in,, Im in East Texas,, I have no idea what peoplein other places are acting like,, but so far, Im just doin as I please,, and takin no flak,,