Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Alternative Browsers to Chrome?

In the light of this and other threats to privacy, I'd like to change browsers.

I'd like to find one that has the functionality of Chrome. I like my extensions. I've used Brave, but I don't want to have to install the extensions through their clunky framework. Many of my favs are simply not available on that platform.

I'm testing out Chromium, a clone that I've used with my Raspberry. I'll post again after I've had some time to give it a spin.

Any other ideas?

10 comments:

Rick C said...

Try Firefox. It's privacy-focused and has a lot of extensions.

You could also try the new Edge that's based on Chromium.

1104wrhmr6r said...

I can second the nomination of Firefox. I have been using for years, at work and at home.

Drake's Place said...

Firefox as mentioned above, yes. There are many people who really like Opera but the last I heard it is now owned by China. So..... :)

Mike Smith said...

Firefox spies on you almost as much. I use Dissenter browser and qwant.com search enjoy. No native spying with that combo.

Jess said...

Isn't Blogger tied to Chrome?

Linda Fox said...

Jess - I believe so, at least, you can sign in with your Chrome or Google identity. Frankly, the most popular apps are so intertwined, that if you try to use privacy controls, you often "break" the ability to use them.

vanderleun said...

Brave on my mac has been doing great since I dropped Chrome last week. All my Chrome extensions can be used in Brave and there is a link on the Brave extensions settings page that goes directly to the Chrome extension web store.

Brave is much easier on ram than Chrome and is actually faster.

Mike Smith said...

Remember - Google's Chrome is not the same as Open Source Chromium, it is Google's own proprietary fork.

Borepatch said...

I second Brave. Opera is based on Chromium, which is based on Chrome. I'm at the point where I don't trust anything that came out of Google.

Linda Fox said...

Thank you all for your input. I'm going to be testing out these, and I will report back on my experience.