Saturday, September 26, 2020

The Dems Are the New Know-Nothings

See here a description from Wikipedia (which I'm citing to show that even THEY acknowledge the deeply anti-Catholic nature of the party).

Despite the group's official name as The American Republican Party, it had nothing to do with Republicans at all. Rather, it was a breakaway from the Democratic Party.

Don't believe that? Think that - somehow - this was a secret GOP-linked cabal?

In the spring of 1855, Levi Boone was elected Mayor of Chicago for the Know Nothings. He barred all immigrants from city jobs. Abraham Lincoln was strongly opposed to the principles of the Know Nothing movement, but he did not denounce it publicly because he needed the votes of its membership to form a successful anti-slavery coalition in Illinois.[13] Ohio was the only state where the party gained strength in 1855. Their Ohio success seems to have come from winning over immigrants, especially German American Lutherans and Scots-Irish Presbyterians, both hostile to Roman Catholicism. In Alabama, Know Nothings were a mix of former Whigs, malcontented Democrats, and other political outsiders who favored state aid to build more railroads. Virginia attracted national attention in its tempestuous 1855 gubernatorial. Democrat Henry Alexander Wise won by convincing state voters that Know Nothings were in bed with Northern abolitionists. With the victory by Wise, the movement began to collapse in the South.[14][15]

This story is one that the Know-Knows would have applauded. It's filled with Anti-Catholic bigotry.

The Left only - sort of - likes Catholics when they stand in opposition to all of the beliefs of the Catholic Church.

Catholics for Choice (say, when are ya' gonna give a choice to the kid involved?)

Catholic Organizations for 'Renewal'

Catholics for Biden

Catholics for Peace and Justice

How about guidance from the Catholic Bishops? This 'nuanced' document attempts to steer Catholics towards support of Leftists, using the language of 'greater good'. Using that advice, Catholics could legitimately argue that - on balance - the Left is, despite their rock-solid support of anti-life initiatives, the more moral party.

So, yeah, unless the Senate (and, I mean YOU, Mitch!) takes a firm hand in this process, it will be the most bigoted trashing of Catholicism since the Klan was active.

But, there will be an end to this - if, God Willing, you do your part, and vote. Don't forget your Senatorial GOP - we need every one of  them we can get. I'm not only voting for Graham, I gave him a small donation today. Harrison seems to be a reasonable person (but, that's just the surface), but he IS a Democrat, and will fall in line with the party's dictates.

Below, for your viewing pleasure, an old video, but one that always makes me smile.



5 comments:

squeeky's mom said...

What a wonderful night that was. Dancing in living rooms all over the nation. Now we need to do this again.

Eaton Rapids Joe said...

Being allowed to be born alive is THE gateway to the other freedoms and forms of "pro life".

Chances are pretty good that if you don't survive in your mother's womb then you won't get any benefits from the other "on the balance" items.

NITZAKHON said...

Catholics for Choice. Isn't that like "Jews for bacon cheeseburngers"? :D

Look, I can understand not agreeing with the canons of a religious institution. We are individuals with free will. Heck, there are times I don't agree with a specific teaching of Judaism. But if my disagreement becomes a schism with the shul I'm in, I don't insist on changing my shul to meet my demands - I find another shul.

(We had a great Rabbi when my wife and I first visited; as I understand it from a friend/fellow congregant who was a foundational element in many activities for years - but who has left - he was forced out because he was too hard line. We now have a SJW. A nice guy, don't get me wrong, but waaaaay more on the Reform side than I'd like to be. I'd like to switch to the local Chabad - Orthodox - but with my wife not being Jewish, and sometimes resistant, I can't push too hard.)

Francis W. Porretto said...

-- Catholics for Choice. Isn't that like "Jews for bacon cheeseburngers"? --

And that is why I could never be a Jew. Not to enjoy ham or bacon? Never to glory in a perfectly made dish of shrimp scampi? Never to taste a perfectly grilled cheeseburger? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me trafe or give me Kraft Macaroni and Cheese! (:-)

NITZAKHON said...

HA HA HA HA HA! Well done!

For the most part there are only a couple of things I miss.

Bacon; yes, there are kosher make-do versions but they're not the same.

Scallops and mussels. Love scallops. And one of my favorite pasta dishes is pasta with mussels in a white wine / garlic sauce.

I find there's a lot I don't miss though. Shrimp? Never really was a fan...