Sunday, November 1, 2020

A Man Of My Sort

     “Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.” – Robert A. Heinlein

     As I mentioned yesterday, we don’t usually get trick-or-treaters on our block, owing to the lack of sidewalks and streetlights...well, and also the propensity of teens on rice-burner road rockets to use it as an informal test strip. Nevertheless, every year I buy quite a lot of packaged chocolate candy – Milky Ways, Three Musketeers, Mounds, Snickers, York patties, Krackels, Kit Kats, and other members of the clan – “just in case.” I usually purchase enough to fill our punch bowl, which thereafter resides next to the front door for the six months it will take the two of us to empty it.

     The C.S.O. thinks I’m nuts for doing this...but apparently I’m not alone:

     And then it was time to hand out candy. Halloween, y'all. I didn't know how many kids would actually show up, so the Mrs and I made up our minds that the kids who did show up would benefit handsomely for doing so. We filled a ten-gallon tub with candy, and told the kids who showed up to take as much as they wanted. We didn't have nearly as many kids as last year, obviously, but we gave away about five gallons worth of candy. The rest will be going to work with me to torture my co-workers as they try to diet their pandemic pounds off.

     Bravo, Dave. That’s the way Hallowe’en should be done! Though I’d retain the undistributed goodies for, ah, domestic use.

1 comment:

Ragin' Dave said...

Well, I'm trying to keep the pandemic pounds off of myself. Although I did manage to sneak away all the peanut butter cups into a secret stash....